Monday, August 30, 2010

The "C" Word...

I hate the "c" word

It terrifies me to no end.  I have heard the "c" word a few times in my life and each time it tears me apart, emotionally, spiritually and mentally. 

I remember when I was little, 4th or 5th grade, my great-grandmother had cancer.  Although, I do not remember that part very much, I do remember her laying in the hospital in pain and I vividly remember her last morning with us here on Earth when I said goodbye for the last time.  She was surrounded by her children and family and loved SO much. 

I hate the "c" word

I remember the phone call from my Mom when she told me the news that she had breast cancer.  I have talked about it some on this blog, but I cannot describe how I felt in that instant, hearing her say "those words".  However, I also remember my Mom standing up against the "c" word and having Faith so strong and defeating it!  She is now cancer free and ever so beautiful! I am so proud of her.

I hate the "c" word

In 2003, I remember watching my Mammaw (my Dad's Mom) hold her family together with her Faith and still smiling on the morning of her surgery that would begin her battle against Stage IV ovarian cancer.  With a Faith so strong and the devil knocked down to his knees by her strength and fear for the Lord, she defeated it!  Stage IV ovarian cancer!!!  Cancer free and feeling wonderful, seven years later and her port was removed 6 months ago and last week, it was discovered that it was back. 

I hate the "c" word

It was discovered on a mammogram, an "interesting" spot in her breast.  It was discovered that the ovarian cancer has mestastisized and has spread to her breast.  We do not know anything more than this.  She has her scans this morning and I am and have been praying and worrying and anxious to know more.  I am praying the cancer is localized and not everywhere.  I pray that God would lay His healing hands on her and take the cancer away and give her peace!  I pray for peace.

I pray for peace for her, for her children, for our family.  I know God is with us, ALWAYS, and has His hands in this.  I know He said He would never leave or forsake us and I believe that with my whole heart and I know my Mammaw does too.  I think that is why it is easier to be kind of strong about it, because she is.  Her Faith amazes me and comforts me.  She is wonderful and I am sad she has to face this "thing" again. However, if anyone can, she can...and will.

I hate the "c" word

2 comments:

NieNie and Goose said...

So very sorry to hear this. Will be praying for her!!

Melanie said...

Hello... I am sorry to hear about your grandma BUT OUR GOD is bigger than cancer! AMEN!!! I will keep her in my prayers and you family as well as you see we are going thru kinda the same thing.

My grandma had a procedure done today to try and place stints in her arteries and they were able to do one artery and the other they could not. The dr seemed hopeful and we may get to bring her home this week :) One thing we have to watch now is seizures which is something new to us because her being 89 yrs old its the first time it's happened to her. She does have diabetes & heart problems so we know how to deal with that but now seizures. We are praying for healing but with her age we understand.

Again OUR HEALER is the one we have to go to...

Your sister in Christ, Melanie